Flat feet, high arches, diabetes, plantar fasciitis – there are many reasons to use orthopedic insoles or shoe inserts. In order to keep your foot supports working well, performing the way they should, lasting long, and hygienic, it’s essential to keep them clean. We’ve put together some handy tips to help you take care of your orthotic inserts.
Do’s: How To Clean Your Orthotics
Some types of foot support are made of non-porous rigid materials, like plastic. Softer, more foam-like inserts need to be cleaned more carefully to keep them from harboring bacteria, moisture, and odors.
- Always remove your inserts from your shoes in the evening, so they can air dry, which is particularly important if you sweat a lot.
- Clean each orthotic with a damp cloth if they are dirty, but let them air dry before putting them back in your shoes.
- Use a soft-bristle brush to remove stains if you need to spot treat.
- Place your inserts in a bag with baking soda to remove any remaining odors.
Don’t: What You Should Avoid
At the same time, there are a few common mistakes you should avoid when cleaning shoe inserts. Keep these tips in mind to protect your insoles, make them last, and keep your feet healthy.
- Never submerge your shoe inserts in water, which can cause mold and mildew to grow.
- You should never place your orthotics in the washing machine.
- Do not use any chemical solvents or cleaning agents, as they could cause your orthotics to degrade faster.
- Do not expose your insoles to extreme heat or extreme cold, or they could lose their shape.
Custom Orthotics In Las Vegas
These are a few of the most important points you should keep in mind when caring for your shoe inserts. Taking care of your feet means taking care of your orthotics. At Evolve Prosthetics & Orthotics, we specialize in custom orthotics and prosthetic devices in the Henderson and Las Vegas, NV areas.
When it’s time to get new orthotics or replace old ones, we invite you to contact us to explore your custom orthotic insole options.